From LP, CD and iPhone to Roon
Have you ever been annoyed that you can't use your turntable via Roon?
Did a friend want to stream something from his iPhone to your Roon playback system and can't?
With rooPlay, all of these issues are things of the past!
rooPlay finally gives you the ability to stream music from various external sources through Roon using its DSPs.
rooPlay is a Roon Extension software (part of the rooExtend suite) that streams various input sources via Roon and its DSPs. rooPlay does this by making rooExtend behave like a radio station, broadcasting lossless FLAC up to 24/192 from your audio input to Roon.
rooPlay offers a bunch of very smart features so you can …
- play music from your iPhone directly through Roon.
- play LPs through Roon (*).
- record from LP or other analog or digital sources to a USB-stick in FLAC up to 24/192 (*).
- play music CDs through Roon (**).
- Play various audio test signals offered by rooPlay.
(*) with an external class compatible audio interface and an external phono preamplifier.
For low budget (40$) the Behringer UFO202 audio interface may be a choice.
It is offers 16/48 only but has the phono preamplifier already built in so a turntable can directly be connected.
For high budget I will recommend the RME ADI-2 Pro FS audio interface plus the new Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3 B preamplifier.
It offers 24/192 and XLR connectors between turntable and interface and also between interface and ADI-2.
(**) with an external USB CD-ROM drive
My personal favorite is the Apple Super Drive as its outfit perfectly machtes the Flirc case for my Raspberry Pi4.
The rooExtend software is supplied as a ready to run micro SD card image for the Raspberry Pi. The installation is therefore a simple plug and play.
You have two options to licese rooPlay in the checkout dialog.
- One year license with auto renewal
- Lifetime license
Things you need using the rooPlay Roon Extension:
- Installed Roon.
- RaspberryPi 4 (recommended).
- A 3A Power supply for the Raspberry Pi4
- Micro SD card min 16GB Class 10.
- A Windows10 PC or a Mac with a SD card slot or an external SD card device that can connect to the pc.
- Wired ethernet for the Raspberry Pi.
- balenaEtcher Software (download here for free).
- rooExtend SD card image and Quick Installation Guide (download here for free)
- rooPlay license key (buy here on this website).
- A class compatible USB audio interface (for LP and anlog or digital source signals).
- A USB CD-ROM drive (for CD playback)
- The license is a license for one Raspberry Pi device.
- The license is available in two options: TLifelong or One Year recurring. If you like to get the Lifelong license please select "Lifelong" at checkout!
- The transfer of the license from one Raspberry Pi to another Raspberry Pi is always possible by revoking the license on the licensed device and then entering the license key on the new device.
- If the Raspberry Pi is physically destroyed or no longer works for any other reason before the license has been revoked, this inevitably leads to the loss of the license.
- Companies are prohibited from flashing the roonExtend image onto SD cards and then selling these preinstalled SD cards.
- Companies are expressly prohibited from bundling a Raspberry Pi with such a preinstalled card and selling it as a package. If you are a reseller and have plans in this direction, please contact me at info (at) definiteaudio (dot) com.