Incredible Headphone Sound
Find out more at: http://diy.rooExtend.com
You use Roon with your headphones and want to squash the best possible sound out of it? Then rooHead is the ultimate tuning kit for your headphones, the best buy you can make!
rooHead is a Roon Extension that creates reference quality equalizers for more than 4000 headphones. The equalizers are calculated based on the scientific findings of the Harman company. With rooHead, these equalizers can now be easily used by any Roon user.
With rooHead, music sounds as if it was played with a calibrated system in a refernce listening room.
rooHead calculates its headphone equalizers as ZIP files. Load them with just a few mouse clicks into Roon's Convolution DSP and you are ready to listen.
These are the main features of rooHead:
- Supports more than 4000 headphones.
- Delivers best possible sound.
- Easy to use in Roon (select headphone and go).
- Extended frequency range up to 96kHz without cutting off at 22kHz.
- Adjustable Bass Boost and Tilt to match personal taste and listening experience (explained in the Harman document above).
- Option for headroom management, so you can turn the convolution DSP on and off getting the same volume to better explore how the equalizer improves the sound.
rooHead is part of the rooExtend software and supplied as a ready to run micro SD card image for the Raspberry Pi. The installation is therefore a simple plug and play. Before licensing, the rooHead software is partly functional so you can see if your headphone is supported by the database of more than 4000 headphones.
rooHead is a Roon Extension that gets its data from the public domain headphone database provided by Jaakko Pasanen. If available he also feels responsible for adding new headphone (many thanks for that!). This means for you: If this database will be deleted by him or be no more accessible some day (what hopefully will never happen), rooHead will not be functional any more! I explicitly point out that if this occurs, a refund of the purchase price from rooHead is excluded.
Jaakko Pasanen asked me to donate part of the proceeds from rooHead to charity. I am happy to comply with this request and donate 10% of the sales to SOS Kinderdorf.
Things you need using the rooHead software:
- Installed Roon.
- A headphone available in the rooHead database.
- RaspberryPi 4.
- A 3A Power supply for the Raspberry Pi 4.
- Micro SD card min 8GB Class 10.
- A Windows10 PC or a Mac with a SD card slot or an external SD card device that can connect to the pc.
- WiFi or wired ethernet.
- balenaEtcher Software (download here for free).
- rooExtend SD card image (v3.x.x) and Quick Installation Guide (download here for free)
- rooHead license key (buy here on this website).
Video tutorial to help you make it run
- The license is a license for one device and for one customer per license key.
- The license is available as a Lifelong license.
- The transfer of the license from one RaspberryPi to another RaspberryPi is always possible by revoking the license on the licensed device and then entering the license key on the new device.
- If the RaspberryPi is physically destroyed or no longer works for any other reason before the license has been revoked, this inevitably leads to the loss of the license.
- Companies are prohibited from flashing the roonExtend image onto SD cards and then selling these preinstalled SD cards.
- Companies are expressly prohibited from bundling a RaspberryPi with such a preinstalled card and selling it as a package. If you are a reseller and have plans in this direction, please contact me at info (at) definiteaudio (dot) com.
Great product. Essential if you use Roon with a headphone.
Feb 12, 2023